Monday, June 16, 2014

This Blogpost Will Be Complete...

I love flan.
Problem is, no one else in this house likes flan. And while I say I could eat an entire flan...
I can't.

However, if you take tiny ramekins and fill them with a custard like substance, let it set and add sugar

what's not to love? cream, sugar, cream?


and a BLOWTORCH
The people most concerned with me using this were the ones who gave it to me. What were you thinking?



SOME people, felt I wasn't doing this right.



You wind up with French Flan*, or Creme Bruleé. 
a little spotty but no less delicious.


It took us a while to remember how to actually use the tiny blowtorch, causing me to state, 'dessert will be ready as soon as I figure out how to work this blowtorch'.
Around this house, nothing says 'Honey, thanks for all you do' like a dessert which requires a blowtorch.
It also spawns a whole new perspective on life.

I'm going to do the dishes, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK THIS BLOWTORCH.
I'm running to the grocery store, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK THIS BLOWTORCH.
I am going to take care of the cat box, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK THIS BLOWTORCH.

Just don't let the cat near the blowtorch.
I'll never have to ask them for food again, ONCE I FIGURE OUT HOW TO WORK THIS BLOWTORCH.

*I am aware that flan is more of an egg based custard while creme bruleé is more of a cream based custard. But seriously, they are not so different as to warrant the complete refusal to eat one and not the other, people.
I will make more flan, creme bruleé, once I figure out how to work this blowtorch. Again.



No animals or humans were injured in the writing of this blog, or eating of this dessert. There was one minor incident involving the blowtorch and its can of propane refill which thankfully was made to code. I am a little concerned that we may have planted a seed with the cat.

2 comments:

  1. I like flan and love creme bruleé, but have never tried making it before. Good for you, I need to do this. Stopping by from #SITSFest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jessica! The Creme Brulee was a mix I found at World Market - super easy. Flan is a little more complicated but not impossible. If you give it a try let me know how it turns out - just don't let the cat do the torching!

      Delete

Got a Hairnet sighting? Other weirdness?